I love porridge – winter or summer. This is my favourite porridge of all though! Buckwheat is so delicious when cooked – it is soft but not soggy – it retains a bite. Baked banana has always been a firm favourite of mine and, of course, the coconut butter just adds another level of creaminess and aroma. A generous serving of cinnamon adds great flavour while helping to reduce cravings by stabilising the blood sugar levels for the next few hours. You just can’t go wrong with this….I like topping it with goji berries for a splash of colour:)
Ingredients (serves 1)
- 1/4 cup buckwheat groats
- 1/2 cup almond milk/coconut milk (or more water for a less creamy porridge)
- 1/4 cup boiling water
- pinch of salt
- 1 ripe banana, thinly sliced
- 1 heaped teaspoon honey/maple syrup
- 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon coconut butter (optional – still amazing without this)
- optional toppings: walnuts, coconut shreds, goji berries, dried cranberries, banana slices etc
Place buckwheat and boiling water into a small pot and bring to boil. Reduce heat to simmer and add all other ingredients. Cook for 10-15 minutes, stirring from time to time or until porridge is cooked to your liking. Check on it and add more boiling water as needed – it must never cook dry.
Serve with your preferred toppings and enjoy!