There was a big special on butternut at the supermarket and ended up buying a big sack of 10 butternuts…..What to do with 10 butternuts…..I had plenty of apples and decided to throw a few ingredients together and see what happens. Turned out fantastic! Sweet, syrupy and almost dessert like. Give it a try!
- 500g butternut, peeled and chopped into small cubes
- 6 pickling onions (those cute small ones), peeled and halved
- 2 large golden delicious apples, cored and chopped into small cubes (leave peel intact)
- 1 handful of dried cranberries
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 3-4 tablespoons of brown sugar (I have a very sweet tooth so I used 4 tablespoons. Adjust according to your taste but I recommend at least 3 tablespoons)
- A pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (not extra virgin – just regular olive oil) and extra for greasing
- Glass dish with a lid or oven proof pot (I used a small Le Creuset pot)
TIP: To peel a thick skinned butternut, chop off the head and tail (so that the hollow part with the seeds is visible on the tail end.) Put on a plate and microwave on high for 3 minutes. Allow to cool for a few minutes, then peel with a sharp vegetable peeler.
Preheat oven to 200°C. Pour a glug of olive oil into your baking dish/pot. Use a piece of paper towel to smear the oil around the base of the dish and to absorb any excess oil. Add butternut, apple,cranberries and onions to dish. Pour over 15ml olive oil and mix it with clean hands ensuring that everything is well lubricated. In a separate bowl, mix salt, sugar and cinnamon before sprinkling half of it over the vegetables. Give a stir to mix it through. Put lid on and place in the oven for 15 minutes. Take out, remove lid, give a stir. Sprinkle on the rest of the sugar mixture, replace the lid and put back into the oven for another 15 minutes. Remove from the oven, remove lid, give a stir and put back into the oven WITHOUT THE LID for another 15-20 minutes but reduce the temperature to 180°C. During this time, give a stir to prevent catching every 10 minutes.
Serve and enjoy!