This has become a morning staple for Malcolm and me – we just love the sweet refreshing flavours… In season, when the fruit is at it’s sweetest, I buy tons of seedless red grapes and strawberries, wash them and pop them into freezer bags and into the freezer. That way I have a stock of lovely grapes and strawberries for smoothies all year round:)
Ingredients (Makes about two 500ml smoothies to serve two)
- 3 golden delicious apples, cored and quartered (do not peel – you want the fibre)
- half a frozen banana
- 1 large handful of frozen strawberries
- about 7-8 frozen red grapes
- agave, stevia, xylitol, erythritol to taste (your sweetener of choice – use sugar if not concerned about sugar intake). I usually use 2-3 teaspoons
- Cold water (from fridge) until desired consistency is reached (I use about 275ml, but this depends how thick or thin you like your smoothies)
- add chia seeds, flaxseeds, walnuts etc as desired (I like 2 tablespoons of chia seeds or 1 tablespoon of whole flaxseeds)
Pop fruit into your blender along with water. Always start with less water – maybe 1 cup – and add as needed. Blend until completely liquidised. You may need to give it a nudge and poke with a spoon here and there to scrape it down. Taste. Add sweetener and optional extras like seeds to suit your taste.
Grab a straw and go!