This is absolutely delicious, super filling and very quick to make. It is basically a smoothie which is made to be very thick so that you eat it out of a bowl with a spoon. Adding all of these wonderful toppings is not essential, but highly recommended, as it adds a whole new dimension of flavours and textures. This is just a basic recipe – use it as a template and make it according to what you have in your house.
Ingredients (Makes 1 large bowl or 2 small bowls)
- 1.5 large ripe frozen banana
- 1 cup frozen blueberries (use any berries you have)
- 1/2 cup frozen strawberries
- 1 cup almond milk (or 1/2 cup milk and 1/2 cup water)
- 4 tablespoons lite coconut milk (optional)
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed
- 1 teaspoon guar/xanthum gum
- 1 or more tablespoons raw cacao (optional – see note below)
- sweetener to taste – agave, honey, maple syrup, stevia, erythritol…
- Toppings of choice – I used goji berries, cacao nibs, chia seeds, flaked almonds and dried figs
Note: Raw cacao adds a bitter, chocolatey taste to this. I am obsessed with bitter dark chocolate and therefore like to add this, but most people would probably prefer the sweet taste of the fruit without the addition of cacao. Do according to your preference.
Add all ingredients to your blender and blend until smooth. You want this to be thick so I don’t suggest adding extra liquid. In order to blend thoroughly, you will need to scrape the sides of the blender down intermittently.
Taste and if you approve, pour it into a bowl, sprinkle on your toppings and munch away!
Isn’t it great to start your day like this?